|232 images stacked in StarStaX, taken with Canon Powershot at ISO 800, 15 sec each|
|DSLR at prime focus on Meade 285, 1/50 sec, ISO 200, stack of 20 images|
|DSLR on fixed tripod, 196 subs, 44 darks, 42 bias, ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1.3 sec, 300mm|
After getting frustrated about Andromeda, I tried an easier target - I was able to find Albireo and showed John the color contrast between the two stars. Next, I tried to observe Beta Cephei, but I still couldn't resolve it into two different stars. I either had the wrong star, or my magnification (or resolution) just isn't high enough to split them.
I was, however, able to split Mizar and Alcor very easily. I put my camera back on the scope to take a few shots. I didn't notice it until I got the images onto my computer, but it looks like I actually got Mizar to split into its two subsequent stars (each of which are actually double stars themselves!). Tons of fun and quite the prolific night of observing!
|ISO 1600, 1/3 sec, Canon Rebel XT at prime focus on Meade 285|
Mizar A/B have a separation of 14.4" (arcseconds) which I guess is about the limit of my setup